Yay, just finished watching the first episode of UltraSeven X
. It is available at ZettaiToku
and a few other places I don't know off hand.
A few random observations (a list because I'm lazy):
- The very first scene, very appropriately, reminds me of the Sea of Lethe* in Ultraman Nexus
. (I think I'll probably end up comparing this series to Nexus
quite a bit, since I haven't really watched any other dark Ultraman series, or Seven
in any other incarnations besides the original.)
- The episode goes by really quickly for me, which is a very good sign.
- It is dark, both literally and figuratively. There is hardly any light in any scene. It is certainly darker than Nexus
(which does have day time scenes in its first episode), which I sort of expected from seeing the previews. Somehow, apart from Seven X's appearance, I don't feel like this is a Tsuburaya production at all. (All those actions and/or the futuristic atmosphere in general make this seem more like it was produced by the people who made Sh15uya
(another show that I probably should finish up if I remember where I put all my files). At least I think I'd read some information along that line.)
- The anti-gravity device is so very cool. :)
- How come they are discussing a serious business in a bar? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding something here.
- So, will "tell me, who am I?" become Jin's regular catchphrase? He's already said it probably half a dozen times in this episode alone.
(*not sure of the spelling)
Ha! I poked around at UltramanLah! and found that Jin actually asked "who am I?" four times, so I was exaggerating a bit.
And I didn't mention Seven X's fight at all, because in my opinion I feel it too brutal (yeah, I know it's a midnight show and should have expected that, but I'm more comfortable with less violent shows).
All in all, UltraSeven X
is off to a very good start. Although, for me, the show is still missing a special something that would make me fall in love with it completely. Feel like a traitor, but I find that I like K better than Jin at the moment. (Probably because K actually has a personality as opposed to Jin who seems to know only how to make grim expressions so far...)
::Off to look for Igarashi's drama, Shigeshoshi
ETA 2: Yay, the torrent is here
, thanks to soulpower
for telling me.